I've drawn on its advice to do a very helpful audit of my blog; while I keep it mainly as an ongoing exercise in writing and collecting my thoughts, I would like it to gain a broader readership than at present and begin to cover aspects of my professional life as well as my personal interests.
After all, when I sit down and think about it I do have a pretty awesome job helping to support a wonderful environmental volunteer movement.
Tune in tomorrow for the advice I took from Blogging Heroes, but here's the current state of play.
The state of play
Last year I managed a grand total of 72 posts - an average of one post every five days or so. Typically each post gets between 5 and 20 views, and at least 2 or 3 of those views are probably me.
Occasionally, I do a little better, and here's my top 10 most-viewed posts since the blog began. Amusingly, if you google Butcher Babies poster I'm in the first page of Google results, which perhaps explains why I got 9 new views of a six-month old post over the past month.
- Four posts about metal (and the gender politics thereof)
- One piece of creative writing
- One promoting a Valentine's fundraiser I was involved in
- Three bits of general cultural/political musing
- One personal update
- Some of my better writing
- An explicit invitation to comment ... or at least an opinion to challenge
- Original content
- Have often been retweeted or Facebook-liked at least once
- Videos (I've been running a video of the week feature since November of last year)
- Film and book reviews (generally SF, fantasy, arthouse)
- Examining social media and online tools in my campaigning or personal life.
- Round-ups of links, news etc