Sunday, June 17, 2012

Metal week: Father's Day hard rock intermission

In honour of Father's Day, I'm going to pick five of (what I hope are) my Dad's favourite hard rock numbers from the 60's and 70's. 

In a tragic loss both to my Dad and his children's musical education, his entire record collection got stolen in Manchester some time in the early 1970's. To be fair, he had left it in his car. With the only copy of his PhD thesis, prior to its submission.

The family joke is that the thesis was found in a skip, with corrections. The records never turned up, and I'm not sure he's ever gotten quite over the trauma.

Be that as it may, with a combination of Record Collection Mark 2 and passing on memories of gigs and Record Collection Mark 1, he did successfully instill in me, my brother and my sister a not very latent interest in 60's and 70's hard and blues rock.

In a way, the fact I'm sitting here listening to Opeth right now can be traced back to my Dad playing me some of the classics below as an impressionable youth. 

1. Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker


As a child I got very excited when the riff suddenly pivots mid-way through the song.

2. Fleetwood Mac - Oh Well


Could have gone with The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown) but will satisfy myself with noting that this is a very metal song title.

3. Thin Lizzy - That Woman's Gonna Break Your Heart


Lyrical misunderstanding: I used to think that said woman was going to wreck Phil Lynott's hair rather than just mess with this head.

4.  Free - All Right Now


Let's move before they raise the parking rate? Yeah, 'cause that's what The Man does.

5.Nazareth - Razzamanazz


One of Dad's epic losses from Record Collection Mark 1, forever spoken of in reverent tones.

Happy Father's Day Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment